Description: START Family Mentors
Fund for Social Change is recruiting and employing Family Mentors
to work within the New York City’s Administration for Children’s
Services’ START (Sobriety Treatment and Recovery Teams) initiative
in the Bronx. START will work with children and families with ACS
involvement in which one of the parents is abusing drugs. The purpose
of this program is to keep children safe and to prevent placement
in foster care whenever possible; to develop a safe, nurturing,
and stable living situation for them as rapidly and responsibly
as possible; and to help their parents overcome their drug problems.
Duties of the Family Mentor
-- Drawing on personal experience as a client of the child welfare
system and/or as a person in recovery, provide emotional support
to START clients, including phone calls and visits with clients
in home or office settings;
-- Advise START Team on the needs and experiences of ACS clients
who are active substance users; participate in case conferences/reviews,
service planning meetings, and joint training sessions;
-- Accompany parents and/or child(ren) to services, including but
not limited to substance abuse treatment sessions, court, and health/mental
health related, educational, and social services appointments;
-- Participate in and take guidance from individual and group supervision
-- Record activities in case files and contribute to data gathering
for the START Team;
-- Complete correspondence, records or reports;
-- Attend staff meetings, agency trainings and conferences; and
-- Perform other related duties as required.
The preferred candidate should posses the following:
1) Strong communication/interpersonal skills.
2) Commitment to and passion for working with families and children,
engaging clients, and making a difference.
3) Ability to use a productive problem-solving approach; help others
develop unique sobriety approaches for themselves; utilize supervision
and work well with social workers; think about challenges they may
face in their job and come up with ideas on how to address those
4) Confidence about, and commitment to, staying clean.
5) Knowledge of or familiarity with basic office practices, how
to carry out instructions in written or oral form, dealing with
complex family issues, completing routine forms, and answering routine
6) High School Degree, GED, or equivalent.
1) Experience as a former ACS client.
2) Prior substance abuse history, including demonstrable and sustained
3) Experience as a parent advocate/ family mentor in any system.
4) Bilingual Spanish and English.
1) This is a full-time position
2) Starting salary: $25,000
3) Full benefits package available
To Apply click Here
candidates will be contacted upon satisfactory completion and submission
of job application.